Health Benefits From Garlic
Hana is a dietetics major and put this information together for Plum Creek Garlic on the health benefits of garlic. Thanks Hanna!
Hanna found her information in Prescription for Nutritional Healing by James F. Balch, M.D. and Phyllis A Balch, C.N.C.
Garlic is a super food! According to Prescription for Nutritional Healing, garlic has been used since Biblical times and ancient literature mentions that “The builders of the Pyramids ate garlic daily for endurance and strength.”
Main Nutritional Benefits of garlic:
* Garlic lowers blood pressure! It opens up blood vessel walls and thins the blood, which reduces the risk of blood clots and helps prevent heart attacks. Can Garlic help reduce the incidence of heart attacks in America? In 2010 hearth disease was the number one cause of death. According to The Centers for Disease Control every minute a person dies from a heart attack.
* Aids in digestion, this improves the body’s ability to absorb the nutrients it needs from food.
* Decreases inflammation and increasing immunity, by acting like an antibiotic in the body. Contains the amino acid Alliin, which converts to allicin, which acts like an antibiotic in the body. By decreasing inflammation you help with diseases like Arthritis.
* Lowers blood serum cholesterol levels.
* Fights against Candidiasis, otherwise known as yeast or fungal infections.
* Some evidence shows garlic can destroy viruses associated with a form of the common cold and the flu.
Healing properties of garlic are more effective when not over cooked to maintain the concentration of beneficial Aliin.
The following simple remedy is great for helping with many aches, pains and ailments with a simple daily 2 tsp. dose
Garlic, Apple Cider Vinegar, and Honey Remedy (Tonic) Put the following in the blender:
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1 cup raw honey
8 cloves garlic
Mix on high speed for 60 seconds. Pour mixture into a glass container. Seal and leave in the refrigerator for five days. Normal dosage is two tsp. in a glass of water or fruit juice, grape or orange juice is best before breakfast.
WAYS TO REDUCE GARLIC BREATH eat parsley, caraway, or fennel seeds.
College of Saint Benedict